1. Hi Royale, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became country musician? I actually don’t really remember a time where I wasn’t a country musician… I have been singing since I was a little girl… country was always something that I related the most with. I grew up on a horse farm on the outskirts of a small town in Ontario. Singing and playing guitar was a big part of my childhood. I actually don’t remember a time where music wasn’t the most important thing in my life. I can even remember the first cassettes we listened to in our old chevy truck… Shania twain & Blue Rodeo.
2. When did you first start listening to country music?Country music surrounded me as a child, it on the radio at the barn… it was on our cassette tapes in our truck … country music has been the soundtrack to my life for the last 24 years.
3. When did you know you wanted a career in country music?I have always known I wanted to be a singer but I definitely did some soul searching before I moved to Nashville permanently. Growing up in a small town, I wanted to experience the world… that included university in Ottawa, a trip to Africa, and a few road trips around America! The day I finally moved to Nashville was the best day of my life, I had finally found my home.
4. Who are some of your musical icons?I am a huge fan of Cody Johnson, Miranda Lambert, and Kacey Musgraves. All three of them are incredible writers and thats why I am so invested in their work. All three of them bring a unique touch on the country music genre!
5. What is background story behind your latest single “Old You?” Old You will always have a special place in my heart. We all have songs that we write when we are absolutely broken… well this is no exception, this was one of the hardest songs to write for me because it came from such a personal place.
6. What are you looking forward to when your new single “No Saddle,” comes out on Feb 8th, 2019?No Saddle is basically an autobiography. I wrote this song with two amazing friends, Hunter Wolkonowski and Davis Corley. We basically brought to light the pain and the determination it takes to pack up, leave home and make a living with music career. I can’t wait for it to drop!
7. What venue is your favorite to play a live show at? I absolutely love to play… whether its a dive bar, a rodeo stage, or on my home stages here in Nashville… I find myself loving each venue for various different reasons… if I had to choose… I think my favourite spot to perform is on a tailgate of a chevy truck!
8. What is one of your favorite quotes? One of my favourite quotes is “ Don’t flatter yourself cowboy, I was looking at your horse”
9. Is there anything else you would like to share?
Thank you so much for having me! Check out “No Saddle’ Available everywhere on Feb 8th!