1. Hi Matt, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became country singer?
Sure. I grew up in Southeast Michigan in a city called Woodhaven with my Mom, Dad and older brother. I was an athlete. Love sports! I played Basketball, and Baseball until my Junior year of high school when I quit sports to pursue my music career.
2. How did you get into country music and when did you know you wanted a career in it?
Well I’ve been in music my entire life. I grew up playing blues guitar. My dad played guitar and was really in to the blues. Our favorite and my childhood idol was Stevie Ray Vaughan. Then I crossed over in to rock n’ roll for a while. After that I took al little break from music and then when Brantley Gilbert came out, I really thought that it was a style that would fit my influences really well. Then I started to do cover songs on Youtube and social media and the fans took to me doing country music better than anything I had ever done before. It fit me best. The music style, the lyrics, the fans and everything about it. It’s really become who I am as an artist.
3. Who are some of your musical icons? Just to name a few, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Jason Aldean, ZZ Top, Eric Church, Eminem, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Brantley Gilbert and so many more!
4. What is the background story behind your newest single “Beer Catchin & Fish Drinkin?”
It’s like one of those things that you say wrong on accident, like “Take me drunk, I’m home,” and I was out fishing one day with my friends and we were having beers and I said the words wrong and immediately thought that it was a great song title. It’s basically about not always taking life too seriously. Try to always have a good time even when things aren’t going as you hoped they were. Kind of like if you’re out fishing with your friends and not catching anything, at least you’re catching a buzz and a Hell of a good time with your friends.
5. Is there anything new coming up with your music for the rest of 2018? Yes, I have at least 2 more singles coming up to follow this up and maybe even a full EP or Album to follow the singles up. Can’t wait to get these new songs out!
6. If you could sing a duet with a famous singer or group who would it be and why? Man, I’m honestly not really sure on this one. Shockingly I think it would have to be Eminem. Another Detroit boy. He is also my #1 favorite celebrity and I think that our styles would mash up really well!
7. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years with your music? Hopefully on a bigger platform. I’ve been doing everything as an independent thus far and there are challenges when you don’t have the help from the right team around you. So, I hope to have the right team around me, have songs on the Billboard charts and be on major tours.
8. What are some of your favorite places in Nashville? Midtown is my favorite spot to hangout. I don’t care for Broadway.