This recipe is one of Paige King Johnson, favorite dessert. It is originally from her hometown church cookbook, from many years ago. She also brings this cake to any family gathering that she attends.
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup vegan choc chips
2 tbs cocoa
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch sea salt
(love to put a little dash of cayenne in there as well to spice it up!)
* preheat oven to 350F
– put black beans in food processor and blend until smooth (I like to do this first to make sure all beans are blended)
– add in peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla – blend again
– put in dry ingredients – cocoa, cinnamon, sea salt (cayenne if you’d like) and blend
– add choc chips and give the processor a little swirl to blend them in (make sure not to over blend the chips)
– put batter in a lightly oiled up brownie pan (I use coconut oil)
– cook for 20-25 mins
* just as a warning – the batter usually does not make it to the oven and I end up eating it raw *whoops 😉
Christmas Cookies Recipe:
1 package Chocolate chips
1 package butterscotch chips
1 cup peanut butter
Put it all in boiler pot, over medium heat, mixing constantly so it doesn’t burn.
When all melted together, pour in 1 cup peanuts into the mixture and stir them through.
Place foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet, pour out the mixture and even it out with a spatula.
Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the entire pan of cookies.
Place in refrigerator overnight.
In the morning, use a sharp, thick knife to cut cookies into pieces.
Old Fashioned with Red Eye Whiskey
- 3oz of Red Eye Whiskey
- 2-3 dashes of orange bitters
- .5-1 teaspoon of Simple syrup
- 1 orange peel for garnish
- Maraschino cherry (optional)
- 1 large ice cube (I recommend buying the sphere ice cubes)
- Rocks glass
- Put simple syrup and bitters in glass. Mix together
- Add ice to glass
- Pour Red Eye on top and mix with bar spoon (this drink is not shaken!)
- Add orange peel and optional cherry
1 Pound Ground beef
1 pound Mild Italian sausage
One yellow onion, chopped
Loads of garlic
Generous amount course sea salt/ black pepper
Basil (you cannot over due herbs)
½ cup milk
Breads crumbs till it “feels right” – you’ll know. Not too sticky, not too dry
Hand mix, then roll into balls.
Sear sides in hot pan of oil
Finish cooking in marinara on medium heat (8 minutes-ish)
Toast whatever bread you choose. Insert meatballs. Splash some marinara in there. Add some shredded parmesan and let melt. Devour.
3 cups cooked chicken cubed
1 cup sour cream – ¼ cup milk
1 can creamed chicken soup
¼ lb. butter melted
1 ½ cups Ritz crackers crushed
2 tbsp poppy seeds
Put cooked chicken in casserole. Mix soup, sour cream, and milk and pour over chicken mixture. Mix cracker crumbs, melted butter, and poppyseeds and spread over top of casserole. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.
LEMON FETA LINGUINE WITH GARLIC ASPARAGUS
• 4 oz. uncooked linguine pasta
FOR THE SAUCE:
• 1 lemon, juice and zest* (see first Note below)
• 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
• Cracked black pepper
FOR THE ASPARAGUS:
• 6 oz. (12 spears) asparagus, woody ends removed and cut into 1½ inch pieces
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
- Boil the linguine pasta in salted water according to package directions until one
minute prior to al dente. Drain and reserve ½ cup of pasta water. Set aside.
- For the sauce. While the pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl, whisk together the
lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil together until well combined. Then add in the feta
and black pepper, whisking well until the sauce combines to become creamy and mostly
uniform in texture.** Set aside.
- For the asparagus. Using a large skillet at medium-high heat, add the olive oil and
garlic, swirling the pan for 5 seconds (slightly toasting the garlic). Add in the asparagus,
salt, and pepper, stirring frequently until the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 2-3
minutes. Remove from heat and place the asparagus in another bowl.
- Using the same skillet, reduce the heat to low, then add the pasta and sauce. Using
tongs, toss to evenly coat the pasta with the sauce, letting the feta cheese completely
melt. Spoon in a tablespoon of pasta water at a time to get to your desired saucy
- Add in the asparagus and give the pasta a final toss. Top with additional feta cheese
if you would like. Taste for additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
• *About 1 tbsp. lemon zest and ¼ cup lemon juice. This will make it a really lemony
pasta dish; reduce the amount of zest and juice if you prefer a more mild lemon flavor.
• **It’s fine if there are still visible pieces of feta cheese; they will melt when mixed
with the pasta.
-Salted French Butter
-1/4 cup white sugar
-5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
-1 egg, beaten
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1 egg beaten
-3 tablespoons heavy cream
-1 3/4 cups graham cracker
-2 tablespoons custard powder
-5 (1 ounce) squares semisweet baking chocolate
-1 cup flaked coconut
-2 teaspoons butters
-1/2 cup finely chopped almonds (optional)
Prep Time:30 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
- In the top of a double boiler, combine 1/2 cup butter, white sugar and cocoa powder. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Beat in the egg, stirring until thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the graham cracker crumbs, coconut and almonds (if you like). Press into the bottom of an ungreased 8×8 inch pan.
- For the middle layer, cream together 1/2 cup butter, heavy cream and custard powder until light and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over the bottom layer in the pan. Chill to set.
- While the second layer is chilling, melt the semisweet chocolate and 2 teaspoons butter together in the microwave or over low heat. Spread over the chilled bars. Let the chocolate set before cutting into squares.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 oz semisweet choc chips
Heat oven to 375. Mix thoroughly shortening, butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-11 mins or until light brown. Let cool. Chow down! Makes about 6 doz.