1. Hi Kaylee, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country singer? I first started off as a dancer and cheerleader in Miami. That was always my passion and I used to think dancing would be something I would continue pursuing. When I was in middle school, my family moved to a smaller town in Florida and I decided to teach myself how to play guitar. Even though I kept cheering and dancing, my focus changed to music once I started high school.
2. How did you get into country music fan and when did you know you wanted a career in it? My dad took me to an open mic after my first day of high school. After singing a few songs, the manager offered me a paid gig. I was 14 at the time. From there on, I started playing at the bar and then next thing I knew I was booking shows all around town at different bars. It was pretty cool having my passion also be considered my part time job as well.
3. How did you come up with the name of your EP “Upside to Down,” and what is your favorite song off this EP? This year has been a rollercoaster for me in many ways and I have learned that no matter what comes my way, there’s always an upside to down. Also, it is a line in one of my songs so it was a no brainer to make that the EP title.
4. Who are some of your musical icons? I love everything from Johnny Cash, to Michael Jackson. Currently I am a big fan of Sam Hunt, Ed Sheeran and Kacey Musgraves.
5. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years with your music? I‘m not sure how to answer that since this town and industry is very unpredictable. I just hope to see myself still climbing that ladder and pursuing music full time.
6. If you could sing a duet with a famous singer or group who would it be and why? People often compare my artistic style to Walker Hayes so I feel like we could probably sing/rap something cool together.
7. Is there anything else new coming up with your music for the rest of 2018? I am already working on new music to release in the New Year. Can’t keep these songs bottled up anymore!
8. What is one of your favorite quotes? “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door”