- Hello Andrea, can you tell us a little bit about yourself before becoming a country singer? So not many people know this about me, but I grew up singing in a punk/pop band! I was in the band for about 5 years, and we started when I was 8. It wasn’t until after the band broke up that I decided to continue my solo career and focus more on country music. I started writing songs when I was 9, and fell in love with it.
- What made you want a career in country music? Country music has always been the most welcoming genre I have ever encountered. I grew up going to country concerts with my cousins, and that’s what really introduced me to it. Once I started writing more and finding my voice, I knew this was where my music belonged.
- Who are some of your musical icons? A few of my musical icons would have to be Elton John, Queen, George Strait, and Carly Pearce. Each of them use their art and make it completely their own, all while simultaneously staying true to themselves. It’s something I will always admire.
- What is the background story behind your latest single “Starting Over?” Starting Over was actually one of the last songs I had written for this EP! I was going through a season in my life where I had to reassure myself that it was okay to miss something, but not want it back. I remember I was in the car with my dad and it started pouring rain. We were on the expressway and passed under a bridge and for a split second the rain stopped and it was the most calm I had felt in a while. I remember going home and the song just flooded out of me. I was so emotional when I finished writing it, because it ended up being that “ah-ha” moment I didn’t know I needed. Immediately I knew that’s what the EP would be called.
- What is your recording process when creating and making new music? Usually when I start writing a song, it begins with a phrase or a line that’s just a thought. I could be driving or taking a shower and the idea just pops in my head! I am always jotting down lyrics in my notes app on my phone too. From there I usually have a melody in mind or I will sing that one phrase in a particular way and build on that. I’m always recording voice memos too, because I could love how something sounds and then somehow completely forget how I did it! Once I finish the song with just lyrics and guitar, I can usually hear how I want things to sound in my mind. Whether it’s the drums or piano, I have a general idea, but it can always change. That’s why I’m so thankful for my producer, because he can envision the songs in the way I do, but with a different creative perspective as well.
- How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words? Honest, Real, and Relatable
- What are a few of your favorite venues to play at? I’ve played at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville a couple times and it’s definitely one of my favorites. There have been so many incredible artists and writers that have played there and it is so intimate and special.
- What is one of your favorite quotes? “Promise me you will not spend so much time treading water and trying to keep your head above the waves that you forget, truly forget, how much you have always loved to swim.” – Tyler Knott Gregson
- Is there anything else you would like to share? These 7 songs on ‘Starting Over’ tell a story from start to finish! If you listen carefully, it really shows that you don’t always have to be involved with someone romantically for them to break your heart. Though that may be the case for some, it could also be friends, family, and even strangers. There is a song for everyone, and I hope this helps others with their own starting over.
While growing up on the outskirts of Chicago, Andrea Veltri has never had a problem in her mind that music was the direction for her. At 5 years old she got her first guitar, and soon started taking lessons at 6 years old. When she was 8, she commenced playing in a punk/rock band as the lead singer and guitar player. Sadly, five years later the band broke up, but that did not stop Veltri’s love for music.
Instead, it directed her to country music and inspired her to seek a solo career. Since focusing on her writing and originality, she started to play at different venues and opened for many for different musicians like Jana Kramer, Anna Nalick and Jason Michael Carroll.
On November 16th, 2018, her first single “What I Know Now,” was released. Since then, she has launched herself into her music and writing and it’s imitated in her debut EP “Starting Over,” which was released on October 22, 2021. The seven songs show growth, honesty and reliability. On this EP Hughes opens up about heartbreak in all forms. The EP marks a completely new chapter and shows that starting over can be done with grace.
If you would like to find out more about Andrea Veltri then make sure to check out her website at (https://www.andreaveltrimusic.com).
Social Media Accounts: