- Hello Christian, can you tell us all a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician? So I am 24, grew up in Mcdonough, GA, a small town about 25 min south of Atlanta. Before I really dove into country music I was a college track athlete at Ole Miss. My main event was the 400 meter hurdles, and I also was a part of the 4×4 relay team. I graduated from Ole Miss in 2020 with a degree in Managerial Finance. Then after my track career started writing and recording country music.
- How did you come up with the name “Old Bronco,” for your brand new EP? The song “Old Bronco” was probably the 3rd song I ever wrote. In highschool my first car was a 1993 Ford Bronco. I wanted to write a song about the memories I had in highschool driving that Bronco and that is what I had come up with. The song became a favorite and has been long awaited with my friends and family that had heard my songs so I decided that to be the title track for the EP.
- What is your favorite song off the EP? I can’t say that I have a favorite song on my EP, they all stem from experiences from my life with a twist of the country music style I love and grew up on. My favorite song is typically the mood that I am in for the day so its hard for me to pick exactly one.
- Who are some of your musical icons? My biggest icons in country music that I grew up on are probably Brooks & Dunn, Brad Paisley, and Randy Travis. I try to write music that would honor that style of country music. I have found a lot of respect for people in the industry now like Luke Combs, Cody Johnson, and HARDY. I feel like these guys are carrying on that same style of country music with their own twist.
- What is your recording process like when creating and making new music? I typically sit down and write the songs on my piano or my acoustic. They typically start with an idea of title and I write to those ideas. Once I get the songs written I pitch them to my team and see what they think. Once we get ready to cut I meet with the musicians in the studio and talk about the direction I would like for the songs, the instruments that I want, style of country, etc. and then we cut the songs live.
- How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words? I would describe my music as “Classic with a modern twist”
- What are a few of your favorite venues to play at? Well I have had the privilege of playing some awesome places, my favorite so far would be Southern Roots Tavern, McDonough, GA, Red Clay Music Foundry, Duluth, GA, Live Oak, Nashville, TN, and The Dogwood, Nashville, TN.
- When you are not working on your music, what do you like to do in your free time? I am a big outdoors guy, I grew up fishing a lot with my Dad, and for most of my childhood I wanted to be a professional bass fisherman. Over the past few years I have gotten into deer hunting a lot as well, so most of me free time is spent on those things
- What is one of your favorite quotes? One of my favorite that I have heard and has stuck with me since I heard it is “Pray like its 100% up to God, and work like its 100% up to you”
- Is there anything else you would like to share? I just want to give a thank you to my family and friends for being so supportive throughout this, and encouraging me to chase my dreams. It makes it a lot easier when you have the support that I have. Also I want to give a big thanks to my team that I work with for seeing something in my songs and helping me make these ideas come to life. And most importantly I want to thank God for this, my faith is a very important thing to me and God is the one who blessed me with the words to say and the ability to write these songs
Christian Yancey is a country singer and songwriter from McDonough, GA. The town is a little south of Atlanta, GA. Yancey started writing and recording music only a few years ago and since then he has put out 4 singles and his EP “Old Bronco,” which came out on June 11th, 2021. Yancey’s music is classical like 90’s country music he grew up on with a new modern sound.
Yancey’s music can be found on Apple Music, Spotify and Youtube. If you would like to find out more about the great and talented Christian Yancey then check out his Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/christianyancey_/).