1. Hello guys, can you tell us all a little bit about yourselves before you formed your country music band?
-Hey how are ya? Well… we’re 3 brothers from Orange County, CA. Our names are Brandon (the oldest), Brett (the middle), and Bryan (the youngest). We were raised in a town called Rancho Santa Margarita. Growing up we were pretty active in our church community. We played a lot of sports, especially basketball and baseball. Our dad loves baseball, he played in the minors for a little while. We also loved shooting short films with friends around the neighborhood when were in our teens and have always been into cars too.
We had a “racing team” when we were In High School/College. We are of Hawaiian, Portuguese, Danish, Irish, and Mexican decent and started getting into music and singing around middle school.
2. How did you guys form Holiday State?
-We had always been into music growing up, our parents always played music around the house. We were in different bands and involved in various music projects throughout high school and our early twenties, but most those bands consisted us plus friends or other musicians who just weren’t dedicated enough like we were. They really didn’t see it as being a career in the future. So that’s when we decided to start a group just the three of us and that’s when Holiday state was formed.
3. How did you come up with Holiday State and was there any other names you were maybe going to choose instead?
– We were planning on starting a clothing line and came up with the name Holiday State. Once the group started recording more material is when the clothing biz was put on hold and focused more on the music biz, that’s when we decided to name the group Holiday State. It just made sense, because of what it means and what we’re trying to accomplish with this group. We figured we could still put out Holiday State clothing as merch too. So I guess you can say we get to do both now haha! There were a few other names we thought about. One was COUNTY O, another one was SHINING CITIZEN. Obviously they didn’t make the cut. Haha!
4. Who are some of your musical icons?
-Musical icons…definitely Michael Jackson, The Backstreet Boys, Boyz 2 Men, Timberlake, Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban. We really grew up on a lot of R&B music. That’s probably the first genre that was introduced to us along with island music at family gatherings.
5. What is the background story behind your latest single “Lay Low?”
-The song was produced by Andy Sheridan and written by his wife Melissa Sheridan. They pretty much crafted the song specifically for us. They sent the demo to us and we loved it! So when Andy was out in LA for a couple days we booked a studio in North Hollywood and knocked out the vocals. It’s one of those chill out, feel good records but will make you move at the same time. It’s about a couple getting ready to go out on the town for the night and then end up changing their minds last minute and decide to just hang out on the couch at home cuddling, watching Netflix and sippin’ on some wine.
6. How would you all describe your music in 3 to 5 words?
-Catchy, current, relatable, authentic, Cali-Country
7. What are a few of your favorite venues to play at?
-Let’s see…definitely the Georgia Theatre in Athens, Ga. It’s in the middle of a cool little college town, much different from where we’re from. That place is special to us cause it was the first time we saw our name up on the marquee. The Whisky A Go Go in Hollywood, Ca. is another good one! Just so much history there. The Wild Horse Saloon in Nashville was amazing. Their lighting and sound system is ridiculous, and that was our first show in Nashville as well. Also Moonshine Beach in San Diego, Ca. is a great place to perform at. It’s in Pacific Beach down there where people just like to party and have fun. The staff over there are really great to work with as well.
8. What are a few of your favorite quotes?
Brandon -“If your dreams don’t scare you, than they’re not big enough”
Bryan -“If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs”
Brett -“The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling”