- Hi Taylor, what is the background story behind your brand-new single “Prayin’ To The Whiskey?” “Prayin’ to the Whiskey” is the first song I wrote/co-wrote after moving to Nashville in Dec. 2017. We were inspired by the banter back and forth at the kitchen table. The memories of college days, both his and mine, sparked thoughts of good times and struggles but from different perspectives. The character in the song developed out of personal internal struggles between the good and bad we both felt about religion and the college party life.
- What was your recording process like when creating and making your new song? When we recorded this song I was also working/recording two other singles on this project. Being the studio recording process was fairly unfamiliar to me I thought things were going smoothly…the first two songs laid down without a hitch. Then came “Prayin’ to the Whiskey!” I had a particular sound in my head that I wanted for “Prayin’ to the Whiskey.” Obviously, this song took a little longer! Because so many of my friends, family and fans already new this song from writers rounds and other shows it became a signature…so it had to be right or the co-writer (my dad) would have hung me haha. Thank goodness I was surrounded by talented players and a dynamic producer. They bounced melodies, instruments and arrangements off me like trying to pick a bourbon to drink from O’ Be Joyful. Finally the right guitar lick hit my ear and everything else fell into place.
- How did you come up with the name “Prayin’ To The Whiskey,” for your new song? The title “Prayin’ to the Whiskey” kind of just came about due to the fact the character was this Catholic girl who has a strong faith in God but also has a wild side and let’s face it, she can’t resist the whiskey. It plays off the fact that on Sunday she will be in church, praying to God but that weekend the only thing she is “worshipping” is Whiskey
- Did any other producers or songwriters work on the song with you? This song was a co-write between my dad and I. Music is a family business for me, from management, to booking shows, writing, and funding it. My parents have been my biggest support system from the start, and I couldn’t do this without them. Whenever he and I can sit down and create a song together, it makes it a little more special for me. My producer for “Prayin’ to the Whiskey” was Jason Wyatt. It was so much fun to work with him because he has all kinds of ideas and experience in the music industry. Bouncing ideas off each other really helped me learn and decide what I wanted this song to say and sound like. He also brought in some amazing musicians to record on my three songs which was a blessing.
- How do you feel when you get to put out new music? Putting out music is always exciting and scary wrapped in a nutshell! I want to share my passion and music with the world, but each song is like my baby. Hitting that button to release is like sending my heart out on a platter for judgement. Being an artist-songwriter truly is one of the most vulnerable careers out there. But I am optimistic and enthusiastically excited to present my creations!
- How would you describe this song in 3 to 5 words? If I had to describe this song in 5 words I’d say it’s badass, sexy, rockin’, fierce, and bold.
- Is there anything else you would like to share? I just really hope the fans are excited about this new release! I know they’ve been patiently waiting for more music from me and I’m ready to deliver. 2021 is going to a be a great year; more shows, more music, more traveling, and more sharing a passion for music with my fans! And of course, please go buy, stream and share “Prayin’ to the Whiskey,” a piece of my dream! Y’all are much appreciated😊
Country singer, Taylor Hughes, is your usual pop country musician. With blues and southern rock impacts, she brings a different outlaw sound that creates attention. Hughes is from Lexington, Kentucky, she is now living in Spring Hill, TN. Also winning gospel singer and vocal coach, Christy Sutherland, describes Hughes’ voice as “rich chocolate cake with soul.” She is also studies under world renowned vocal coach, Kati Hendricks.
For 5 years in a row Hughes has been nominated in the Lexington Music Awards for best female vocalist, best country artist, best singer/songwriter and song of the year; winning in 2016, 2018 and 2019. Hughes was also in the top 5 for the “Southern Fellows Country Artist of the Year.” She has been an opening act for artists such as Chase Rice, Riley Green, Sam Riggs, Angaleena Presley (Pistol Annies) and Striking Matches. She has also played a number of times on some well-known stages like Stations Inn, The Listening Room, Douglas Corner, Manchester Music Hall, The Lyric Theater and has been invite to perform at The Kentucky Music Hall of Fame in March 2021 where she will have her own artist residency.
Hughes’ live shows bring an energy, also a party and the real country music fans have been wanting to hear for along time. Hughes released her first single “Good Taste,” on April 10, 2020. On April 12, 2021 Hughes newest single “Prayin’ to the Whiskey.”