1. Hi Nate, can you tell us a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician?
I’m originally from South Haven, Michigan. Previously, I was a nuclear power plant worker but I’ve been playing music since I was a very young kid.
2. What made you want to have a career in country music?
Well, I’ve always wanted to play music ever since I could remember. My grandad was the man who inspired me. He would sit and tell us stories of blues musicians and of life. I fell in love with wanting to tell stories and play music right away. When I was 21, my dear friend Dennis – who’s also a blueberry farmer – introduced me to country music in a way I’d never heard it before. From then on I knew country music was where I needed to be. It just felt like home – like something I’d been missing my whole life.
3. Who are some of your musical icons?
BB King, Prince, Elvis, George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, Keith Whitley and many more.
4. What is the background story behind your latest single “You Ain’t Pretty?”
It was written by Jimmy Yeary, Jason Sellers, and myself. The true meaning behind this song is about building people up and not tearing them down. It talks about the inner beauty in a woman. It’s not about the hair or make up.
5. How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words?
Strong. Honest. Real. Grit.
6. What are a few of your favorite venues to play at?
Foundry Hall and the Park Theatre in Michigan. Also – any small town venue.
7. What is your recording process like when making new music?
Cut the song in the studio with an amazing band, then work on overdubs and vocals. It’s an honor to work with my producers Mickey Jack Cones and Derek George who truly bring these songs to life. I love every minute of it. I’m a new artist and it’s been great learning all that I can from the very best.
8. What is one of your favorite quotes?
“Don’t die with your music still inside you.” ~ Wayne Dyer
9. Is there anything else you would like to share?
I feel so blessed for this opportunity and for the amazing team I get to be a part of at Quartz Hill Records. It’s truly a dream come true. Thank you to Benny Brown, Jason Sellers and Paul Brown for believing in me. It’s gonna be an amazing year for all of us!