1. Hello Paige, can you tell a little bit about yourself before you became a country artist?I grew up in a small North Carolina town listening to all the classic country artists that paved the way for people like me today, including Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard & Waylon Jennings. I loved music even as a little kid and was always singing something around the house or in my car seat. When I was 10 years old I got my first guitar as a Christmas present from my Papa and instantly fell in love with performing, playing and everything in between. The rest was history!
2. Who are some of your musical icons?I look up to all the strong women in country music who have had such remarkable careers over the years like Loretta, Patsy, Dolly, Reba, Shania, and so many more! I also love current artists who are doing their best to keep that spirit alive like Miranda Lambert, Kacey Musgraves, and Lori McKenna to name a few.
3. How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words?Modern Retro Country
4. What is the background story behind your brand new single “Just Like You?”I wrote this song in April of 2019 with a dear friend of mine from college, Regan Rousseau, about the give and takes of a relationship. I think the beauty in being loved by someone is that they accept you each day for all the parts of you, good and bad. And that’s when relationships work – when both people commit to loving each other a little more every day. I hoped to capture in this song each act of kindness, appreciation, and altruistic behavior shown to me to highlight the fact that the simple ways of loving someone can be the most beautiful things in life to them.
5. What is your recording process like when making and creating new music?I love getting in the studio with my producer, Bill McDermott, because we get each other on every level musically. Our relationship was founded on our shared love for so many artists and their styles, so it was only fitting that we worked together. I had a pretty good idea of the general sound I was going for with this record, but Bill really helped bring all those ideas to life through the speakers which was so fun to watch. It’s truly a process to get everything just like you want it, and for me I knew I wanted it to sound like me and I knew I wanted it to sound country. As long as we had some steel guitar, I was happy!
6. What are a few of your favorite venues to play at?This is a hard question because I love to travel and this job of mine takes me to so many new places all the time! Still though, out of all the venues I’ve seen, some of my favorite places to play are still the local places back in my hometown in North Carolina where I cut my teeth as a performer. Any chance I get to go back home and play for people back in the places I grew up playing is so special to me.
7. What do you like to do in your free time when not working on your music? When I’m not working on music, I really really enjoy both being active – preferably outdoors – by running or hiking, and also experimenting in the kitchen with new recipes. I’m such a foodie, which is the main reason why I have to be so active.
8. What is one of your favorite quotes?“If you see someone without a smile today, give ’em yours.” – Dolly PartonI try to stay on the optimistic side of most things just because I don’t enjoy being a sad person.
9. Is there anything else you would like to share?Along with the song that released on Friday, October 2 and the lyric video on my YouTube page, I’m also very excited to be releasing the official music video for “Just Like You” very soon! Keep an eye out on my Facebook page and website for more updates.