- Hello Andrea, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician?
I’ve always had a love for music, growing up in a very musical family who was always surrounded by the music industry in Los Angeles. I grew up in Virginia as a kid which is where my love for country music grew at an early age. I always knew I wanted to be doing something creative whether it was in music or fashion merchandising.
2. What was the first country album you bought?
The first country album I bought with my “own money” (chore money, ha!) was Home by The Dixie Chicks. It’s still an all-time favorite!
3. What is the background story for your brand-new song “Now I’m Gone?”
“Now I’m Gone” is a song that I wrote a few years ago and it took me going through some things to be ready to release it. It’s about knowing when it’s time to let something go that’s not doing you any good anymore and to come out stronger on the other side. I hope this song is empowering to a lot of people and that they can relate to the lyrics and feel good singing along!
4. How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words?
Honest. Sassy. Fierce. Fun.
5. What is your recording process like when creating new music?
I usually start with a simple demo of a song that I want to record and from there we start to brainstorm what we want added to make the song come to life. It’s fun to see what the musicians come up with in the studio. I love watching the dobros, guitars and drums that all make the records sound so special. It’s awesome.
6. What are some of your favorite venues or events to play at?
Here in Nashville, I’ve had fun playing at venues such as The Basement, Mercy Lounge and Whiskey Jam. Its where people who love live music go to hear new music in town and also where so many locals hang out.
7. Do you have any rituals before you record new music or play somewhere live?
I love watching some of my favorite artist performances and hearing their records to inspire me. It helps set the bar and reminds you to push yourself to do the best you can. I also like to just decompress and meditate if I can before I have a big event in order to prepare the best I can.
8. If you could sing a duet with any singer or group who would it be and why?
Maren or Carrie. They are two of my favorites and It would be a dream come true. Dierks Bentley has also been a dream duet of mine.
9. What is one of your favorite quotes?
“Trust the timing of your life” and “everything is figureoutable.” It’s so crucial to remind ourselves in this world where it’s so hard to not compare ourselves on social media and amongst our peers.
10. Is there anything else you would like to share?
I’m excited to be releasing more music this year and see where the release of “Now I’m Gone” takes me. In the meantime, keep up with me on my socials! Instagram & Twitter @dreavasquez, andreavasquezofficial.com, and on Spotify, Apple Music or your favorite streaming service 🙂