1. Hello Mercy Shine, can you guys tell me a little bit about yourselves before you became a country duo?
Jason grew up in a little town called Ivor,VA & Matt grew up in a little town called Dendron,VA in the tidewater area of VA. Jason and Matt were introduced at age 17 by a mutual friend which at the time was the drummer for the rock band they were in along with another childhood friend who was the guitarist for the band. Jason & Matt spent years in the rock arena, playing with some of the biggest names in the industry such as; KISS, GodSmack, Fuel, Saliva, & Deep Purple to name a few.
2. How you guys become a country music group and how did you come up with the name of your group “Mercy Shine?”
Jason called Matt one day & ask if he would be interested in recording some country-rock songs as a duo.
A friend of Matt’s came up with the name Mercy Shine years ago. Matt reached out to him and ask if we could use the name & he said sure.
3. Who are some of your musical icons?
Keith Whitley, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Elvis Presley, Robert Plant, & Paul Stanley
4. What is the background story behind your latest single “Curves?”
We sent out emails to songwriters & publishing companies saying that we were looking for songs to cut for a EP. We received 62 songs and Curves was one of the 5 that we recorded. We decided to release it as a our single because it is a very catchy, was able to sing along to and a song that you can dance to. The song was written by: Jason Matthews, Joel Shewmake, and Country music artist William Michael Morgan. It was Produced by: Kimo Forrest Guitarist for the group Alabama
5. Is there anything else new coming up with your music in 2019?
We are working on recording 5 more songs for a full length album. Our booking agent is also working on putting a tour together.
6. Where are a few of your guys’ favorite venues or events to play at?
They are all our favorite. We are humbled, blessed, and honored to be able to do what we do. We enjoy every opportunity we get to perform; getting to see people happy and having a good time.
7. If you had to describe your music in 3 to 5 words, which words would you choose?
It leaves you wanting more
8. What was the first conercts you guys ever attended?
Jason was Ozzy Osbourne.
Matt was Skinny Puppy.
9. What is a few of your guys favorite quotes a good time?
Having fun and being yourself is more than ok.
10. Is there anything else you two would like to share?
We wanna thank everyone for the love and support.
Swing by and say hi at the links below