1. Hi Alexis, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician? I have been writing and singing country music for so long it is hard to think about a time I ever did anything else. But before I began seriously pursuing country music in Nashville, I grew up in the small town of Huntsville, Ontario singing at local talent shows and in church. However, during a trip to Nashville in college with my best friend, I decided I needed to listen to my heart and pursue music full time. I wanted to be doing what I love: creating music, and performing full time – and I can truly say that I haven’t looked back since!
2. What was one of the first country albums you ever bought? One of the first albums that I ever bought wasn’t country at all. It was Avril Lavigne’s debut album “Let Go”. I spent weeks saving up my allowance, and then finally asked my mom drive me to the mall to buy it. I must have played that entire CD on repeat for hours on my walkman. I’m sure I still have it somewhere in my room!!
3. What is the background story behind your newest single “Bend the Truth?” I have always been a bit of a hopeless romantic with a big heart (maybe it was all of the Disney movies I watched growing up – who knows!?). When I fall for someone, those feelings are not easy for me to get rid of. While it can sometimes be great for writing songs, it isn’t always great when it comes to relationships. “Bend The Truth” is essentially about a relationship that I had where I knew I should have let go, but I kept going back over and over again. It was obvious that both of us would be better off moving on, but neither of us wanted to admit it to each other. My heart was telling me one thing, and my head knew I should do the exact opposite – and that was the inspiration behind it all!
4. What are some of your favorite venues or events to play at? It is tough to pick a favorite venue or event that I have played at – each place is always different and has its own unique qualities about it. I think anytime or anywhere my parents are in the audience… those are my favorite venues because I can always look out and see their smiling faces, supporting me. Plus they always clap and cheer the loudest
5. Is there anything else new coming up with your music in 2019? Yes, I have lots of things happening with my music before this year is over!! I am currently in the process of picking the next few songs I will be releasing and I am so excited to share it with my fans! In addition to that, I also am playing a few shows out west! 019?
6. How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words? I would describe my music as passionate, honest, and emotional. I write what I feel in my heart, and often times I write about my own life experiences. This shows a sense of vulnerability to my fans when I am performing, and a different kind of connection with the audience. I think it also gives people a chance to see who I really am as a person, and that they are not alone in whatever it is that they are going through.
7. What is your recording process like when putting out a new song? When I am working on releasing a new song, my recording process is very involved. Aside from spending lots of time in the vocal booth, I also like to be a part of every other aspect of what the producer and musicians are doing. I love watching how it all comes together, and how many layers of instruments are put into a completed song. It’s magical and I absolutely love every second of it!
8. What is one of your favorite quotes? One of my favorite quotes is actually lyrics from an Eli Young Band song: “Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart.” It is something I have to remind myself daily, as the music industry has some pretty amazing highs, but some pretty rock bottom lows. It has definitely encouraged me throughout the years!
9. Is there anything else you would like to share? Make sure you go check my website, and all of my social media platforms because I’ll be sharing new music soon!!