1. Hi Braxton, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician? Well when I was a little boy I took piano lessons, and those lessons lasted for about ten years. The reason I quit piano was because of my little brother, he played guitar and told me that I couldn’t play “his instrument” . Naturally being the competitive brother I am I picked up one of his guitars and haven’t put it down since. My dream has always been to be a musician, I love making music, and entertaining others. In fact it has been a running joke in my family that since I was little I would tell people “I wanna be a Rockstar”. So to answer your question I’ve always been a country musician to the best of my knowledge, the only difference between then and now is a waist size and a leg length.
2. When did you start listening country music and when did you know you wanted a career in it? I’ve really always listened to country music, but I will listen to any kind of music as long as it is good music. I started when I was younger listening to any country music that was on the local radio, and as I got older I found a love for the older style of country music. I was interested in the stories that these old songs would tell and the message that they were trying to convey. 3. Who are some of your musical icons? My musical icons consist of the older country stars such as: Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Bob Wills, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and some of the newer artist such as: George Strait, Dwight Yoakum, Chris LeDoux, Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Cody Johnson, and Flatland Cavalry.
4. What is the background story behind your latest single “Make Up Your Mind?” Make Up Your Mind was written about a girl who lived in fort worth and i was trying to date her but she was about to move out of Texas, so she was faced with this dilemma and I wrote the song because she had a difficult time trying to make up her mind, we are still friends.
5. What are some of your favorite venues or events to play at? I enjoy playing everywhere because singing and playing is what I love to do. If I wasn’t playing at a bar or a wedding, I would be doing the same thing in my Livingroom.
6. Is there anything else coming up with your music in 2019? Yes, I am in the middle of a new project at the moment and I hope to release that sometime soon. I will also hopefully start the recording of my first EP this fall, so be on the lookout for some big things.
7. How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words?Meaningful, with some old school.
8. What is one of your favorite quotes? My favorite quote is really more of a statement and is the title to one of Merle Haggards most popular songs, “Mama Tried”.
9. Is there anything else you would like to share? Choose a career in life that you love, so that it doesn’t feel like work. You can follow me on all social medias and YouTube @ Braxton Keith, and keep your eyes open for my new music coming out soon.