1. Hi Dawson, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician? Well I’m from a small town in northwest Georgia called Rome. Growing up I was obsessed with NASCAR and football. (Still am to this day) but when I was younger I played football up until my 10th grade year and I even rode go-kart on a dirt track and did a little racing. But once I was about 15-16 years old I knew I wanted to play music I shifted my focus a 100% to that. I moved to Nashville after graduating high school and got a job at UPS, and did that till I signed a deal with BMG in December of 2017. I guess the moral to all that is. My parents always supported me no matter what it was. They’re the main reasons I’m where I am today.
2. Who are some of your musical icons? My icons are Eric Church, Brantley Gilbert, Hank William Jr. and Blackberry Smoke. I wore out lots of their cds growing up.
3. How did you start listening to country music and when did you know you wanted a career in it? Growing up my dad listened to mostly Hank and a lot of the older guys so that’s how I fell in love with country music, and my mom kept GAC on in our house 24/7 so I heard a lot of what was on the radio from that. I started trying to write songs when I was around 13 years old and then picked up a guitar at 14, and sometime shortly after that (I’m not sure exactly when) I saw Eric Church and Randy Houser on YouTube playing at the Opry and I was just mind blown and absolutely fell in love with it at that moment. I’ll never forget it.
4. What is the background story behind your latest single “Can’t Help It?” I wrote it with 3 of my buddies- Alex Maxwell, Ryan Nelson & Trey Teem. We’re all super country guys and Alex had the idea and I was like man we should just write this about growing up country, as hell and how we just can’t help it. So we did, and it came right out. This was one of the smoother writes.
5. Is there anything else new coming up with your music in 2019? A new 4 song EP comes out March 1st!
6. What are some of your favorite venues or events to play at? I’m not sure if I have a favorite, I love playing anywhere, where people want to listen to some country music.
7. How would you describe your music in 3 to 5 words? Rockin, Redneck and country
8. What is one of your favorite quotes? “Enjoy the ride” I actually have it tattooed on my arm. I saw an Eric Church interview and he was asked, “if you could give advice to a young artist what would it be.” And that’s what he said, enjoy the ride and not get so stressed out and caught up in everything, and let things happen on there own. It’s so easy to get down or caught up in everything that goes on in life matters and I try to remind my self daily to enjoy the ride, And that’s just kinda stuck with me ever since.
9. Is there anything else you would like to share? I’m just really looking forward to this year and getting this new music out and seeing how people react to it out on the road!