1. Hi JD, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician? Grew up in a smalltown called Taylorsville, KY. After the death of my grandmother in June of 2002, I discovered a guitar in her house right after her death – my freshman year in college. Self taught while in College. Graduated college in 2007 and moved to Nashville in 2008. Performed shows from 2004-2008 and moved to Nashville. Over the last 10 years, I have performed over 2000 shows with features on CMT, GAC, NBC, Country Weekly and many other National Publications. Also opened for 50 National Acts.
2. How did you become a fan of country music and when did you know you wanted a career in it? The first time I heard Garth Brooks in 1992. Something about his music just pulled me in and then my parents took me to his concert in 1992 and I have been hooked ever since. When I discovered the guitar in 2002, my life changed on an instant and I begin teaching myself to play and everything fell into place shortly after.
3. Who are some of your musical icons? Garth, Alan, John Michael, Clay Walker etc.
4. How did you come up the name of your newest EP “Two Lane Town?” It is lyrics from one of the songs on the album “Young Again” – Also Two Lane Town kind of described Taylorsville, where I grew up. Once you get to know me and my music, you’ll hear a lot about a small town upbringing. The title Two Lane Town just fit. The fans selected that title earlier in the year on a Facebook contest.
5. What is the background story behind your song “One Less Girl?” My neighbor Mark Nesler co-wrote it. Google him – he has had a huge career. I knew the moment I heard this song it was special. The moment I played it for the folks at CMT they told me, “that is your song” – I shot a video for it and the rest is history. Currently going for adds now at radio.
6. Is there anything new coming up with your music in 2019? I will release my second single and continue playing shows, meeting fans and climbing the ladder to more of my goals. I am expecting big thing in 2019. It seems I always top the year prior. 2018 has been a tremendous year for us. This one will be hard to top.
7. If you could sing a duet with any famous singer or group who would it be and why? Garth or Goo Goo Dolls. 2 of my top bands of all time.
8. Where do you see your music career in the next 5 to 10 years? The music business is constantly changing but I hope see myself performing with a #1 Billboard single under my belt. We will see – I have worked extremely hard for it. It has also been a dream of mine since finding that guitar, to have a #1 single and to play the Grand Ole Opry. I am waiting on both to happen.
9. What is one of your favorite quotes? “Just Do It” – so simple and yet so true. I did.
10.Is there anything else you would like to share? Currently video is on CMT. That has been exciting. Check out our website and look for us on tour in your area soon. Visit jdshelburne.com.