1. Hi Katie, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country musician? My first encounters with a stage was for dance lessons and recitals! If it existed, I took it: Lyrical, Jazz, Ballet, Tap, Etc. Over time I started falling more in love with the lyrics of the songs I was performing to and it turned into singing them!
2. How did you become a fan of country music and when did you know you wanted a career in it? I always knew I wanted to be a performer! But the true spark in music was when LeeAnne Womack released “I Hope you Dance” … seeing that music video blew my mind cause two passions of mine collided… dance and singing! It’s was cause me to dabble in singing and my passion grew from there!
3. Who are some of your musical icons? The list goes on and on and on! Haha. I’m inspired by so many talents … legends and new comers! LeeAnne Womack, Martina McBride, Faith Hill , Shania and Celine started the whole thing hahah! And I also love Keith urban, Randy Houser, Carrie Underwood! seriously the list doesn’t end! Lol
4. How did you come up with the name of your newest EP “Wild Child” and was there any other names you were going to choose instead? I’ve always envisioned a project that was “road trip worthy”… I wanted something you could roll the windows down and blare! I feel like the title track “Wild Child” encompasses this feeling so it was a given when picking the name for the whole project!
5. What is your favorite song off your EP “Wild Child?” This is literally impossible to answer! Hahah. I love each for different reasons! Wild Child : We all have a wild Child inside of us and this song celebrates that! Got me Like: You can’t help but smile, sing and dance hearing this! Backyard: Gahh… it wrote itself! So many different meanings of this song that give me all the feels! Nirvana: Brings me back to memories of getting my first set of keys and driving up and down the roads of my small town!
6. Is there anything else new coming up with your music for the rest of 2018? I have a few ideas of my sleeve so hopefully they pan out! 😉 But I definitely want to play some more shows before the end of the year! And we will start repromoting my Christmas single and music video after Thanksgiving!
7. Where do you see your career in the next 5 to 10 years? Continuing to write and record the best music I can! Traveling and playing shows on a larger scale, more radio and streaming play. And using that platform to promote positivity in the world.
8. If you could sing a duet with a famous singer or group would it be and why? This answer changes daily but right now…. probably Keith Urban. I just love everything he does and he isn’t afraid to push the boundaries.
9. What is one of your favorite quotes? It’s probably a little cliche but oh so true: When words fail, music speaks. Sometimes a song can better say what you want/need to express.
10.Is there anything else you would like to share? Thank you so much for helping spread the word of country’s newest music!
Great article! We love Katie Austin and her EP is amazing!!!