1. Hi Dakota, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country singer/songwriter?
Hi! Growing up I played a lot of tennis. In High School I reached a point where I needed a change in my life and I decided to learn the guitar. That is when my journey began as a singer/songwriter!
2. How did you become a fan of country music and when did you know you wanted a career in country music?
I was always a fan of music in general, but I love how country music tells such great stories. Plus, my friends listen to a lot of country so it was around a lot 🙂 I knew I wanted a career in music when my guitar and singing became my number one passion. In college, I couldn’t seem to find anything that I enjoyed learning besides music. When I found out there are actually music degrees, I was hooked.
3. Who are some of your musical icons?
Oh wow, I have a lot of artists that I look up to so this question is difficult! I grew up listening to Aretha Franklin, Toby Keith, Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Alan Jackson, and Dolly Parton; but when I picked up my guitar Miranda Lambert was a big influence on me.
4. What is the story behind your latest single “One Church?”
This song is about my hometown! I am from a small town where there is one church and three main bars. The verses are about all the characteristics any small town has, but the chorus is trying to state that there is something still unique about this “one church three bar town.”
5. Is there anything new coming up with your music for the rest of 2018?
Yes! I am in the process of putting together a music video for “One Church.” Also, I have another song recorded that is ready to go 🙂
6. Where do you see your music career in the next 5 to 10 years?
In the next 5 to 10 years I see my music career really developed and established. I hope to have accomplished some of my dreams which include playing at the Grand Ole Opry, Bridgestone Arena, Red Rocks Amphitheater, and more.
7. If you sing a duet with a famous singer/songwriter who would it be and why?
Vince Gill because his music is great and I know I could learn a lot from him.
8. What is one of your favorite quotes?
“Where words fail, music speaks”
I have really enjoyed my journey so far with the release of my debut single. All the support from fans of my music has meant so much to me. Thank you for this wonderful interview 🙂