Ashlyn Grayce~ This has always been my family’s favorite meal. It sounds so silly, but to me it is way more than just a meal or a recipe. Tomato pie always means a delicious family dinner and quality time with one another. It even landed a line in my song “601”! Here is the recipe my Dad and I created and plan to keep as a family tradition for years to come.
- Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
- Cook time:30 – 40 minutes
- Servings:6 or 7
- 1 deep dish baked pie crust
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4-5 medium peeled and sliced ripe tomatoes
- 2 slices fried, crumbled bacon (optional)
- 4 TBS fresh chopped or dried basil
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion quartered, thinly sliced equal to approximately 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup bleu cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (cannot use low fat or fat free)
Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
Bake pie crust according to package directions.
Slice and place single layer of tomatoes on top of wire rack with 3 layers of paper towels, lightly salt and pepper to taste and let sit for 30-40 mins
After tomatoes have sat, place 2 layers of paper towels on top of tomatoes and gently pat down to remove more excess water.
Layer the tomatoes, onions and basil in the crust starting with tomatoes, then onions and basil layering until even with top of pie crust.
In bowl mix cheese, mayonnaise, crumbled bacon and 2 TBS basil and carefully spread mixture over tomatoes bringing down to edge of pie crust to seal.
Bake until bubbly, at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow tomato pie to cool for a few minutes (5 – 10) Serve warm.
Suggested beverage: Sweet Ice Tea