1. Hi Jessica, can you tell me a little bit about yourself, before you became a country singer/songwriter?
I have always been super family oriented. Grew up in a big, close-knit family in Little Rock, AR where my cousins were like siblings. I was raised in the church and sang solos in the choir. I was adventurous and kept my parents on their toes- rebellious in dumb ways, like climbing water towers and getting on roofs of random buildings. I cheered in high school and college. I liked being active, but didn’t play many sports. My faith has always been a priority, without Jesus I don’t know where I’d be. People are also my passion. I love hearing people’s stories and trying to be of some encouragement, even if it’s just listening to them. Also- dad jokes and puns are my jam!!
2. How did you become a fan of country music and how did you know you wanted a career in it?
I’m from the south and my parents were always listening to the country stations in their cars, so I grew up on Garth, Reba and Shania. It’s in my roots! And I’ve just always wanted to be a singer- whether it was country/pop/christian- I just knew singing was what I was made to do. I’d watch music videos and award shows as a little girl and re-enact the performances.
3. Who are some of your musical icons?
Reba, Dolly, Shania, Tori Kelly, Lauren Daigle… all the girls! And Garth Brooks too.
4. What is your favorite song off your new album “One Love?”
SUCH A HARD QUESTION! Maybe Lay it Down. I love the message and I enjoy singing and dancing to it. It’s my reminder song- that all of my music/dreams- they belong to Jesus and when I “Lay it Down” I will get the best possible outcome, because He knows best!
5. What is the background story behind your song “Mixtape?” (This is one of my favorites off your new album!!)
Thank you so much! That song has a groove to it. I wrote it with my talented friend, Kristina Kidd. Her and I got into the writing room and I believe she had the first few lines. We took those and thought it’d be neat to develop the song into a tribute song about Love. There are so many songs that make you think of your special someone. So it was a fun idea to try to reference some of the popular love songs and call it Mixtape!
6. What was your experience as being a cast member in the new show “Music City CMT?”
It was fun and exciting. I love new experiences- especially new experiences with friends! I never expected something like this to happen, but I am very grateful and I’m trying to enjoy the moment. The cameras took time to adjust to, but it didn’t take long to get used to them. The hardest thing was being completely vulnerable while knowing hundreds of thousands of people would be watching and judging my every move and word.
7. Where do you see your music career in the next 5 to 10 years?
Hopefully more developed with a wider audience.
8. If you could sing a duet with a famous singer or group who would it be and why?
Another very difficult question. I think it would be such an honor to sing with Garth Brooks. He is such an icon and I think we could harmonize nicely together.
9. What is one of your favorite quotes?
Self confidence is a super power; when you believe in yourself, magic happens!
10. Is there anything else you would like to share?
Just that I hope people will check out my album, One Love and tune into Music City!
Love our star!🌟⭐️🌟