- Hi Vanessa, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became country singer?
Growing up I had a really awesome normal childhood. I started dancing at age 3, and did that competitively until I was 18. That kind of got me into musical theatre, and then vocal lessons when I turned 8. Dance did so many great things for me, but it really got me comfortable on a stage and in front of crows from a young age. I also really appreciate so many different genres of music, and I owe a lot of that to my dance background! I then went to Wilfred Laurier University and studied Communcations, and graduated a year early to pursue music full time.
- How did you become a country music fan and how did you know you wanted a career in country music?
I grew up in a really large family with a lot of country/folk musicians! When I was little I used to listen to my moms cassette tape of Neil Youngs Harvest Moon, thats still one of my favourite records. So I kind of fell into country from there. I completely idolized Shania Twain when I was growing up….still do.
- What is the story behind your newest single “Bless My Heart?”
Bless My Heart was pitched to me by my producer and it immediately had my attention. All I can say about that process is that after listening to it for 30 seconds I was hooked! That usually happens to me with music, If I love it, I love it immediately. Its the perfect blend of sassy/badass and cool, and I love that about it!
- What are some of your favorite songs right now on the radio?
I love Cams new single Diane, Kelsea Ballerinis Miss Me More, & Look At You by Seth Ennis
- Is there anything else coming up with your music for the rest of 2017?
I’ll be kicking off my radio tour in the next couple of weeks and that should wrap up 2017 for me! It’s been an amazing year for me.
- If you could sing a duet with a famous singer or group who would it be and why?
This is such a tough question! I’d say Brett Eldredge because I have a massive crush on him. But also Shania Twain…because…Shania Twain.
- Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years with your music?
In 5-10 years I’d love to still be making music with some of the best people in the business.
- What is one of your favorite quotes?
“This too shall pass”
- Is there anything else you would like share?
3 Random facts about me:
1) I have 33 first cousins
2) I sleep talk (a lot)
3) When I was little I thought I was in love with Nick Carter