1. Hi Matt, can you tell me a little bit about yourself before you became a country singer?
2. How did you get into country music and how did you know you wanted a career in country music?
3. Who are some of your musical icons?
4. What is the story behind your latest single “Catch Girl?”
5. If you could sing a duet with a famous singer or group who would it be and why?
6. Is there anything new coming up with your music for the rest of 2017?
7. What are a few of your favorite places in Nashville?
8. What is one of your favorite quotes?
9. Is there anything else you would like to share?
1. Prior to doing country music, I was kind of that kid that was still questioning what I wanted to do in life. I was in college kind of going through the motions trying to figure out what interested me and what I enjoyed doing and was, for the most part, just living in the moment. The only thing that I really ever knew that I loved other than music was law enforcement. It’s the family business. Honestly though I still wasn’t sure. I knew I absolutely loved music but living in Charleston, SC didn’t really show signs of playing music as a full time career. Then I moved to Nashville and everything changed haha.
2. I got into country music by happenstance honestly. There is a local venue in Charleston called The Windjammer. It would host medium sized acts that would come through town and I would do everything in my power to open for them. Luckily for me, The Windjammer gave me a lot of opportunities to do so. I got to open for people like Brantley Gilbert, Eli Young Band, Darius Rucker, Troy Olsen, and a long line of other people. I made it a mission of mine to get to know everything I could from these bands. I would talk to everyone from the artist if I could to the managers to the band and crew. After hearing all of their stories, I was in awe of the music business and Nashville.
3. I have always been one of those people that listened to all kinds of music. Not just country. I could go from listening to Keith Whitley to Fall Out Boy, to Eminem. I love it all. But I can say in 100 percent certainty that my all time biggest idols are the guys of Rascal Flatts. I have been listening to their music since I was a kid and I love that sound. All of those harmonies, the unique songwriting, the arrangements, everything.
4. The story behind Catch Girl is pretty simple. I went into the writing room with Jackie Lee one day and had the title but wasn’t really sure what it was all about yet. He actually came up with the idea to use it in the duel meaning way. (whats the catch girl cuz you’re a catch girl) But its just kind f one of those stories that you meet the perfect girl in the strangest places.
5. Rascal Flatts. Hands down. I just love their style and I love that 3 part harmony sound in music. Plus they’re my idols.
6. Probably more like 2018, but the next step is to put out an EP with about 5 songs on it and see where they take me.
7. Some of my favorite places in Nashville would be: Blue Moon Marina, Percy Priest Lake, The Pharmacy in East Nashville.
8. “You Get What You Give.” It was the name of a Zac Brown album and it has always stuck with me as truth.
9. Just thanks for the opportunity and thanks for being such a music lover! Music row wouldn’t be a thing without people like you! Also, spread the word about Catch Girl!! Haha.