- Hi Tyler, what made you cross over from alternative/rock music to country music?
I’d played with many bands over the years with different sounds and genres. When I started doing the solo thing full force, I was finally able to take the route I’d wanted to without having other band member’s input on what they wanted to do genre wise.
- You released your EP Valerie last year, which did quite well, is there any new music that will be available in 2016?
I’m hoping to have a new single out by the end of the year!
- If you had to pick one song that you have recorded from your EP, or just a song you wrote, what is one of your favorites and why?
My new song I wrote “Rebound” is definitely my newest favorite. I love the meaning behind it. The Lyrics, melody, everything about it. It’s personal to me, and I hope everyone else loves it the same as I do!
- Also last year you move from California to Nashville, how has it been living there?
Nashville is amazing! It’s a necessary move to pursue country music, and I love living here!
- When you were on tour with Dustin Lynch, Chris Lane and DJ Hish, how was that experience for you, and what was your favorite venue to play at?
Such a fun time, I miss it! My favorite cities of the tour were Denver, Orlando, NYC, and Anaheim.
- If you could do a duet with any musician or band whom would it be and why?
I’d love to collaborate with someone from another genre; a hip-hop artist like Kendrick Lamar would be amazing.
- Where do you see yourself in the next 5 to 10 years?
Touring full time and living this dream to the fullest!
- If you have to give advice to an up and coming country artist, what would be your advice?
Keep grinding, it never gets easier, but it becomes worth it. Don’t slow down, you’ll end up regretting time wasted. Play as much as you can, promote as much as you can, and be humble, genuine, and kind.
- What is it about having a close relationship with your fans on social media and also in person?
We live in an era where social media lets us connect with our fans like nothing any artists before us could have imagined. It’s great to utilize it, we can’t take it for granted. I started off by trying to sell CDs to people standing in line to concerts a decade ago in my earlier bands. Now, you can message strangers from anywhere across the world, it’s amazing.
- When you are not busy what do you love to do in your free time when you have it?
Honestly I love to travel and explore new places, and cultures, especially overseas. If that isn’t able to happen, then I like to relax as much as possible, hang with my dog, watch movies, and catch up with friends, you know. Everyday normal life stuff.
- What was the first tattoo you ever got and would you want to get any more?
On my left tricep when I was 18! Song lyrics “These Knuckles Break Before They Bleed” referencing the fact I would die, before I’d give up with my career. Haven’t given up yet! And, I have a couple more ideas in mind for new ones 😉
- What is your favorite thing about being California Grown?
California is such an amazing place with so much diversity. From multiple cultures, climates, etc. it’s a great place to be raised and a place I’ll always love calling “home”.